Losing weight to become healthier is always a constant priority for a lot of people. It has become such a huge, thriving business consisting of state-of-the-art gyms, healthy food deliveries, and of course, a wide array of diet plans. One of the plans that has swept the whole world is the keto diet because it still allows you to eat a filling meal despite being on a weight loss journey.
According to the source, a low-carb diet is constructed to guide your body to use a different energy source, like stored fat, instead of carbohydrates. But when we go overboard and deprive ourselves of carbs for a long time, bad side effects may occur.
1. Bone erosion – This diet reduces the intake of calcium because we do not eat carbs that contain fibers which help in the absorption of calcium. This can lead to fragile bones that are prone to breaking.
2. Leg cramps – This diet also prohibits some food sources that contain nutrients and minerals important for muscle function like potassium and sodium.
3. Fatigue – Using a different energy source than the one we are used to causes our body to work harder resulting in a feeling of lethargy and exhaustion. We can counter this with an increase consumption of water and salt.
4. Affected menses – Losing weight is a stressful experience which greatly affects a woman’s menstrual cycle.
5. Kidney stones – These painful stones can form because the process of ketosis, or carb deficiency, lowers the pH levels of our blood making it acidic. This results to waste products that can form into stones.
6. Bad breath – The fat breakdown that is the main process of the keto diet causes chemicals to be released which then turns into bad breath.
7. Constipation – Food rich in fiber like whole grains and beans contain carbohydrate which means you aren’t allowed to eat it. Not allowing your body to consume fiber can lead to an irregular bowel movement that will make you feel constipated.
8. Dehydration – Being in a keto diet can cause a higher level of ketones to form and they can only be passed through urination. Excessive urination will no doubt lead to our bodies expelling too much water.
9. Headache – You would also experience headaches because our brain is used to using sugar as it’s fuel and now, it’s running empty.
10. Bruises easily – This process can change our blood’s composition and can also lessen the amount of platelets we have as well as its function. This can result in our bodies getting bruised easily.
The following medical advice was taken from the sources provided below. Please consult a licensed medical practitioner before attempting any of the procedures cited in this article.
Were you surprised to see all of the listed side effects above as a result of carbohydrate deficiency? Do you think that people should still subscribe to this effective weight loss diet? Share your thoughts, reactions, and opinions in the comments section below!